Peace, Love & Knowledge

For those who love the earth, healthy food, and all things natural. Enjoy:)

Monday, March 18, 2013

Baked apple and banana oatmeal



Healthy apple banana oatmeal; a filling, nutritious breakfast.

 

                Guys, I’ve made a break through… this oatmeal is completely healthy, super yummy, and did I mention it was healthy? People now days fill up on empty carbs like donuts and white flour bagels for breakfast but I say NO! I’ve made it a priority of mine to eat in a way that is good for my body inside and out. I’m in the process of learning ways to sweeten my foods naturally and I’m telling you, I’m beginning to see why god put bananas on this great green earth. A slightly overripe banana will pass up sugar any day. As for syrup? Forgetttt about it. I’m sooooo done with that store bought, sugar filled, and chemical laden poison. (Real maple syrup is a different story; however I haven’t exactly found any in my area yet.)

 The apples add a nice, apple pie flavor when mixed correctly with classic spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. This has totally become my fav breakfast ever. Try hang get your hands on some organic whole oats and make sure your bananas are a little brownish; I promise you it’s not rotten or uneatable.  To bake your apples just stab them with a knife a couple of times and bake them in a shallow dish at 400 degrees for about half an hour. That’s for a pretty big apple though so just use common sense when adjusting the heat or whatever. For those of you that are wondering why I didn’t just add freshly chopped apple into my oatmeal then know this, I think baked apples are a whole lot sweeter and softer. I cannot stand crunchy apple in my oatmeal, instead I like it very soft and pie-like, know what I mean?

 

Appley banana oatmeal!! 2 cheers for a healthy start to a great day!!

 

1.       1/4 baked apple

2.       1 cup organic oats

3.       2 cups full fat milk or skim milk if you so desire, I personally think natural whole milk is healthier than any watered down version.

4.       ½ tsp. cinnamon

5.       1/8 tsp. nutmeg

6.       1/8 tsp. salt

7.       ¼ mashed banana

*optional: nuts, prunes, butter, hemp hearts, or flax.

 

Directions:

1.       Start to cook the oatmeal by combining the oats and the milk in a little pot over medium high heat.

2.       When it looks like it’s almost done add the apple.

3.       Add the salt and spices. At this point you can tell if it’s done or not, the whole process is about 7 mins for me, though some stoves are quicker or slower. It really all depends.

4.       Pour into a bowl and top with the mashed banana. At this point you can add whatever else you would like such as walnuts, sunflower seeds, chopped prunes, or a tad bit of organic honey.

 

Well that’s all I have for you today, I hope you enjoyed my recipe and if you have any feedback then don’t hold back! Hey that kinda rhymes…. Anyways have a splendid day and enjoy your awesome breakfastJ

0 comments:

Post a Comment